qTwitter is an application interacting with microblogging services, such as Twitter, Identi.ca and others based on StatusNet application (former laconica). It aims to be as compact as possible still providing outstanding usability. Since it's a Qt-based application with no other dependencies, it works wherever Qt does, i.e. Windows, Mac OS X and vast variety of Linuxes and Unices supporting X11 (including Nokia's Maemo platform).
Features' summary as for v0.10.0:
- OAuth-based authentication scheme for Twitter accounts,
- support for Twitter, Identi.ca and StatusNet for:
* friends and mentions (@-replies) timeline,
* posting, replying, retweeting, deleting and (dis)favoring statuses,
* downloading, sending and deleting direct messages,
- secure (SSL encrypted) connection to Twitter and Identi.ca,
- support for working with multiple accounts at the same time,
- storing statuses lists between sessions,
- automatic #hashtagging and URL shortening via 9 different services,
- full interaction with TwitPic API, allowing for easy one-click image uploading and posting updates,
- system tray notifications (via Plasma and Growl),
- customizable statuses list length and look (via the use of themes),
- automatic checking for updates,
- in-session passwords storing (can be disabled),
- HTTP proxy support,
- being recognized as a source of updates,
- translation to 10 languages in run-time (sorry for my poor Catalan, I appreciate any help here :) ).
See CHANGELOG for details.
If you wish to report an issue, request a feature, provide a translation (yay!) or just give any kind of feedback concerning qTwitter, the easiest way is to visit its bug tracking system site at:
If you wish, you can also contact me either via e-mail (d AT ayoy DOT net) or at Identi.ca (http://identi.ca/ayoy).
The qTwitter team
Since 0.8.0 qTwitter depends on QOAuth library, available separately at http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=107420. In short, apart from Qt you will need QCA and qca-ossl plugin for qTwitter to work. You'll find all the needed details at that link. The download links below contain qoauth packages as well. Please install qoauth prior to qtwitter. Starting from 0.8.3 qTwitter uses qoauth-1.0. Thanks!
(2009/11/18): adding packages for Maemo (Diablo - N810)
- merging friends timeline with mentions (@-replies) timeline,
- fixed notifications - now notify about new statuses (NOT unread ones) and display unread statuses count,
- improved URL shortening (all urls at one go, customizable shortcut, pluggable),
- automatic #hashtagging,
- fixes in parsing links in statuses (by Stephan Beyer),
- initial plugin architecture (subject to change),
- improvements in build system (detecting correct libdir on *NIXes and automatic generation of translations),
- code cleanup in Twitter API library (by Stephan Beyer).
- SSL encryption for connections to Twitter and Identi.ca (#75),
- fixed incomplete Norwegian translation (#74),
- fixed minor bug with disappearing Identi.ca URL when removing all of its accounts.
- in KDE4: notifications displayed using Plasma notification services,
- on *NIX: prevented spawning multiple instances of the application (#73),
- on OSX: now showing icon in Dock,
- added look&feel customisation options, like visibility of the tray icon (#70)
and behavior of the close button,
- added crash detection, bug reporting link and reseting configuration to the working state (#68),
- removed (not really working well) settings compatibility with older versions,
- removed non-OAuth app version (#66),
- added Norwegian translation (by Egil Hanger),
- lots of minor fixes as usual.
- provided support for custom StatusNet (former laconica) services (#60),
- left/right arrow key goes to next/prev unread status (by Stephan Beyer),
- status author's display mode made customizable (name, nick or name+nick),
- added parsing StatusNet groups (!sth),
- fixed unwanted 'new statuses' on the bottom of the list (#63),
- applied system palette to status edit field (#61),
- added Czech translation (by DragonJake - #62),
- added b.oooom.net URL shortening (by dubkat - #57),
- improved storing data between sessions,
- improvements in Twitter API library,
- numerous minor UI, performance, architectural and build system fixes.
....full changelog available within the source package.